Being outdoors in the summer sun is a great setting for some fun photos of you and your loved ones.
To get the best results from your session, there are a few things to consider before you step in front of your photographer’s lens.
- Remember to Wear sunscreen. If you are going to be out in the sun for a long period of time, especially with children, sunscreen is a must. It can however also make your skin look quite shiny. If possible, apply makeup that has built-in sunscreen otherwise apply some powered concealer to spots that look especially oily.
- Bring along some tissues & concealer powder. Unless it’s a cool day, you’re probably going to sweat. Bring along some tissues for dabbing off the sweat and your concealer powder for any touch ups.
- There might be bugs. Photos in nature can be romantic and beautiful but depending on the time of day and the area you’re in, it could mean swatting away flies and mosquitos. A little bug repellent can make your photo session a lot more pleasant.
- Stay hydrated. I feel like this one is easily forgotten but so important. Posing for pictures may not seem like hard work but in the hot sun, you don’t have to move around much to be affected by the heat. Make sure you bring lots of water and other hydrating beverages and drink up.
- Apply makeup sparingly. You want that fresh, sun kissed look in your photos so don’t overdo your makeup application. The sun can often amplify the texture on your skin, so it is best to try to use foundation that is not too thick to avoid this.
- What you wear matters. Choose clothing that is comfortable and fits your body shape. You want to feel beautiful so that it will be reflected in your photos. Do not wear something that you feel restricted or not your best. Feel free to incorporate accessories such as a hat but don’t let the accessories overwhelm the photo.
- Choose your time of day. Since midday can be scorching, plan your shoot just before the sun sets to avoid looking hot and flustered in your photos. Not to mention that golden glow of sunset is beautiful on skin for portraits.